Game of the Week - Treeton Terriers Under-21’s 5-0 Davy FC Under 21’s

By Michael Clarke

By Robert Harker

Treeton Terriers Under-21’s 5-0 Davy FC Under 21’s
Saturday 14th September 2013, County Senior League Under 21’s Division

Treeton Terriers extended their winning streak to three league games in as many games with a convincing victory over Davy FC in Tinsley on Saturday.

After a balanced opening period, Terriers opened the scoring from the penalty spot. It came about when Tom Bartolemen was played through one-on-one. The goalkeeper, Liam Dyson, rushed off his line but resisted the opportunity to tackle. This moment’s hesitation proved costly as it handed the initiative to the Terriers’ striker who poked the ball beyond the keeper and knocked it into the box. He was then able to outpace the goalkeeper who dived backwards, but made contact with the man and not the ball. The referee, Mr Wright, pointed immediately to the spot. Luke Beedam stepped up and calmly sent Dyson the wrong way.

Five minutes later, Treeton made it two. Declan Duckham crossed for Kane Beedam, unmarked at the far post, who comfortably slotted the ball into the corner of the goal.

The following attack too resulted in a goal for the hosts. Beedam pulled the ball back for Joe Slater who struck a shot on target. Dyson got a hand to it, to reduce the power of the shot, but failed to divert it round the post and it trickled into the net.

The best goal of the game was the final goal of the first-half. Beedam, buoyed from his earlier goals and assist, demonstrated his confidence with a run from the half-way line on the right wing before swerving inside, in a move that beat four defenders, before his close-range one-on-one was blasted into the top corner.

The match was rounded off on the hour mark as Connor Simpson broke the offside trap much to the annoyance of the appealing visitor’s defence, before sending the ball into the bottom right corner to complete a stunning start for Terriers, who have now scored nineteen goals in their opening three games in the Under-21 division.

The match began as a midfield-battle, with chances few-and-far-between. This only real opportunity of note was when Louis Fletcher sent a direct free-kick over the bar after two minutes.

Teeton thereafter took control. Luke Beedam knocked the ball down for Kane Doughty whose shot was well wide of the left-hand post. Tom Bartolemen had a tremendous chance when he found himself one-on-one with Liam Dyson. His effort however, despite beating the goalkeeper, lacked the required pace it would have needed to roll over the line.

Two minutes later however the deadlock was broken from the spot after Dyson’s trip on Bartolemen. The keeper survived a potential red card, despite being the last man, as the striker was moving away from goal.

Within a minute, Terriers’ lead was almost doubled. Callum Douglas attempted a shot from long-range, but the right-hand post came to Davy’s rescue and the ball bounced harmlessly wide.

Beedam had a fantastic opportunity to make it 2-0 in the twenty-fifth minute. He received the ball one-on-one, within two metres of the goal, but his close-range effort was superbly saved by Dyson’s outstretched leg.

Beedam only had to wait a minute extra until he did get his second however, when slotting home Declan Duckham’s cross. Beedam then turned provider for Joe Slater, who’s effort founds its way into the goal via a goalkeeper’s glove and the inside of the right-hand post.

Slater found the ball in a similar position to where he’d just scored from – just inside the penalty area – moments later. This time his effort fell just wide, however. Beeham’s spectacular run and finish from the half-way line then made it 4-0 seven minutes before half-time and therefore completed his hat-trick.

Despite this, Beedam wasn’t having a day where luck was always on his side. This was most notable early in the second half when he rounded Dyson, but with the open goal gaping, he sent the ball over the crossbar instead of into the empty net.

The scoring was completed with half-an-hour to spare. Connor Simpson broke the offside trap, causing frustration amongst the Davy FC defenders. Simpson then comfortably placed the ball into the bottom right-corner.

The closest Davy FC came to a consolation goal was through Dane Asher. His long-range effort required a finger-tip save from Kyle Aldon who touched it round the post. This assured the hosts of a first clean sheet of the new season as they remain top of the league table.

Treeton Terriers Under 21’s Team: Kyle Aldon, Shaun Jones, Joe Wra, Ian Abdulka, Connor Simpson, Callum Douglas, Declan Duckham, Joe Slater, Tom Bartolemen, Luke Beedam, Kane Doughty. Sub: Piers Bond

Davy FC Under-21’s Team: Liam Dyson, Owen Philips, Tom Fewkes, James Kirkby, Louis Fletcher, Dane Asher, Ritchie Vicary, Kane Taylor, Sam McArthur, Nathan Storey, Dylan Vicary. Subs: Lawrence Taylor, Ryan Fletcher, Elliott Trundler, Tom Hoyland, Joe Jamir.

Where next?

Saturday Round-up Swallownest Miners Welfare take the lead in the Premier Division

Pete's Patisserie County Senior Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.